UGX-Mods

UGX-Mods => Announcements => Topic started by: treminaor on October 25, 2015, 11:42:50 pm

Title: New Zero-Tolerance Policy for Harassment
Post by: treminaor on October 25, 2015, 11:42:50 pm
Hi everyone.

A while back, myself and the other site moderators tried to work out a way of resolving the drama that has been unfolding on the site by introducing a 3 strike system to control users who were abusing the community. If you broke a site rule you received one strike, and after three strikes were reached an appropriately timed temp or perma ban would be issued.

4. You will act like a mature adult, even if you aren't one.
Maturity is at the heart of a successful community. A small group of immature members and/or actions can bring down the quality of an entire community experience. Therefore we have decided to implement a three-strike system. If you are acting blatantly immaturely and it is causing any sort of problem in the community or the chat, you will be issued a warning to your account by a moderator. If you receive 3 warnings within a few months' time, you will be temporarily banned from the site to think about your attitude. Warnings are at the discretion of moderators, and your three warnings will be reviewed for legitimacy before you are temporarily banned. You will be notified each time you are warned, and a reason will be given for the warning - when possible, the incriminating post will be referenced.

Clearly this has not been working and we have seen that users are just using the strikes as opportunities to break rules without consequence.

Unfortunately this has led us to now introduce a completely non biased zero tolerance policy. This new non-biased policy will mean that no matter who you are, whether it's an elite group member, mapper with community status or being promoted or even a staff member, if you break any of the site rules you will be given one (and only one) verbal warning before being punished with a ban ranging from 1 week minimum to permanent. Any rules which are already stated as being insta-ban worthy (ex. Rule #10) will still be treated as such - no warning will be given.

This website is being funded out of pocket, donations and ad revenue so you have a place where custom mappers, scripters and fans can come and find out what the latest news and info is regarding the custom modding scene - yet some users seem to think this site is their daily haven to come and verbally abuse people with complete disregard to the thread creator or other users participating in said thread. This is the point where we draw the line once and for all, so starting right now there will be no more sneaky little digs at people or trolling. Anyone who is found breaking the forum rules on the site or in chat will be warned one time then banned if it happens again.

This zero tolerance policy also covers the chat room. There will be no more name calling, spamming or general abuse in the chat room. It is there for all users not just select users and anyone seen to be negative towards new members will be warned one time then banned. We understand the chatroom is used for people to be more relaxed and comfortable, so the rules will be adapted to fit in line with this. We still expect people to be respectful towards other members when using the chat room and to also respect any present staff or moderators.

This is to all members, not just those recently responsible. You will be respectful to all users and their work. If you have nothing constructive to say then say nothing. If you chose to ignore these words then you will not last long as a user on this forum. All moderators must be respected, site and chat. If you are seen to be abusing or talking down to any moderator this will be seen as a bannable offense. We are here to moderate and help, not to be undermined or talked down to. If you feel a moderator has been abusive towards you then report it to a team member. This goes both ways.

This is the final time we will be seeing long-term drama on UGX and those who think it won't last will soon realize that we are not kidding around anymore. This recent drama has made the site and community look bad, we are not going to allow that to happen anymore. If you are not happy with this then just don't engage in the community anymore or just stop using the site altogether.

Again, this comes into effect immediately. Please respect staff and other users from this point on.

Best Regards,
treminaor
on behalf of the UGX-Mods Team, Staff and Moderators
Title: Re: New Zero-Tolerance Policy for Harrasement
Post by: treminaor on October 26, 2015, 05:17:24 pm
I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet. Don't be afraid to express your thoughts as long as you do it in a respectful way.
Post by: Exofile on October 26, 2015, 05:27:46 pm
I was planning on commenting earlier, but didn't get around to it. It's nice to see you're adding this, there has been several times people have been treated in ill ways, so hopefully this'll put and end to all. Guess it's time for me to stash my dank memes now, before someone reports me  :please: Good Choice in my opinion
Post by: Bwc66930 on October 26, 2015, 05:28:36 pm
I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet. Don't be afraid to express your thoughts as long as you do it in a respectful way.
*reads new rule, nods then goes back doing regular business business life*

Post by: ZombieSlayer5778 on October 26, 2015, 10:16:45 pm
I am very happy to see that UGX has made this new Zero-Tolerance Policy rule. I have seen people verbally abused, and I also hate experiencing people in the chat spamming neon cat for an hour. Thanks! ;)
Post by: daedra descent on October 26, 2015, 10:27:57 pm

Probably because you didn't leave much to discuss. As you said, Its either accept or potentially be banned.

As for discussion, you want to turn UGX into a hugbox? Fine, its your website and you can do with it as you wish but please define what is and isn't allowed better because this really is open to abuse. A mod could literally give a warning for something that you may not know even breaks any of the current rules(as with my case, which i'll PM you about). Perhaps it wouldn't be if mods had to write up and send a detailed list of any supposed offenses to whoever they are giving a warning to. Maybe add that?

Edit: meant report, not list.

Unfortunately this has led us to now introduce a completely non biased zero tolerance policy.

Isn't it a bit unrealistic to believe that bias won't at some point play a role in a decision by a mod? Heck, how does one even know if someone is being biased 100% of the time?
Post by: Bwc66930 on October 26, 2015, 10:31:19 pm
and I also hate experiencing people in the chat spamming neon cat for an hour. Thanks! ;)
people are still gonna do it
Post by: MechromancerX on October 26, 2015, 11:47:35 pm

Didn't comment because i have nothing more to say about this.
I hope it's a good choice and will turn out positive in the future :) .

And i think not many people even read this because it's on a place where you (at least i) usually don't look.
I think i didn't even get the notification (the red diamond in front of "announcements"). If somebody didn't post the link in the chat i think i would have never read this (i know it's on the main page in big but i usually don't look there :D ).
So maybe move to where more people see this? not even 400 views in 2 days is a bit poor isn't it?
Post by: DeathBringerZen on October 27, 2015, 12:31:20 am
its your website and you can do with it as you wish but please define what is and isn't allowed better because this really is open to abuse.

Ok, so the plan is that if we see a thread start to derail or veer off-topic then one of the staff will comment asking for the people responsible to behave and be respectful. Any futher derailment will be seen as a breach of the forum rules and a warning will be issued. Same rules apply in chat. You can still be more relaxed but you still need to remain respectful towards staff and other users.

A mod could literally give a warning for something that you may not know even breaks any of the current rules(as with my case, which i'll PM you about). Perhaps it wouldn't be if mods had to write up and send a detailed list of any supposed offenses to whoever they are giving a warning to. Maybe add that.

Yes, I was maybe a bit harsh earlier issuing you with a warning so quickly so my apologies for that one, but this is hardly the first time you have belittled a mapper in his own thread. That being said I absolutely agree with you that warnings should be handled in a professional manner and be written up in an offical way and PM'd to the user keeping it private. We will use this idea from now on in.

At the end of the day other major forums use this policy. They will give out one (and only one) warning. Step out of line again and it's a ban. This forum has become to relaxed with the handling of reports, warnings and account supsensions but we need to be seen to be acting and that we will.
Post by: MAK911 on October 27, 2015, 01:17:12 am
Ok, so the plan is that if we see a thread start to derail or veer off-topic then one of the staff will comment asking for the people responsible to behave and be respectful. Any futher derailment will be seen as a breach of the forum rules and a warning will be issued. Same rules apply in chat. You can still be more relaxed but you still need to remain respectful towards staff and other users.

Yes, I was maybe a bit harsh earlier issuing you with a warning so quickly so my apologies for that one, but this is hardly the first time you have belittled a mapper in his own thread. That being said I absolutely agree with you that warnings should be handled in a professional manner and be written up in an offical way and PM'd to the user keeping it private. We will use this idea from now on in.

At the end of the day other major forums use this policy. They will give out one (and only one) warning. Step out of line again and it's a ban. This forum has become to relaxed with the handling of reports, warnings and account supsensions but we need to be seen to be acting and that we will.
I'm okay with this rule change as long as no favoritism is shown and the mods don't get too crazy restrictive. I know that's possibly why I'm still on this site, but I wouldn't even want that bias polluting the site if it came down to it.

Also, could you change your profile pic, zen? It scares the shit out of me :-\
Post by: ZombieSlayer5778 on October 27, 2015, 01:34:41 am

Also, could you change your profile pic, zen? It scares the shit out of me :-\
Lol, very true  :D
Post by: treminaor on October 27, 2015, 04:35:20 am
As for discussion, you want to turn UGX into a hugbox?
Lol that's really what you got from this? A hugbox? It's your choice if you want to start hugging people, I'm not telling you to. But if you start slapping people you're gonna get slapped back with a ban. It's pretty simple. Don't harass people and everything stays peachy. If you can't go on the site without harassing people then it sounds like a personal problem.

Isn't it a bit unrealistic to believe that bias won't at some point play a role in a decision by a mod? Heck, how does one even know if someone is being biased 100% of the time?
There's more than one mod, and there's no such thing as a non biased person. Its unrealistic to expect us to do this perfectly but we're going to try our best.
Post by: SPi on October 27, 2015, 05:13:24 am
That's a good sign. Despite I wasn't 100% obedient at all rules I totally agree. If things are out of control, strict rules may be what is needed. I hope for the best.
Post by: Scobalula on October 27, 2015, 08:37:46 am
I completely agree. One the main reasons I have been out of topics is I know 100% it's going to turn into a derail, heap of shit. Anyone who comes on the forum and sees these threads will think of the forum as not worth coming onto.

Imo, this was the reason for ZM becoming what it is, lack of moderation and the ability to post what you want about who you want, I am very glad you are taking the steps in the right direction to battle this issue which has become more than out of control.

The chat is very well moderated so I don't really see it on there. :P
Post by: UndeadGaming on October 27, 2015, 11:04:04 am
Well im an understanding person so i kinda agree and disagree with this new rule being put in place.1st i do think this rule will come in very effectively due to the fact that once its like 12am in where i live the spammers spam the shit out of the forum and it can be annoying.From what i have also heard is that this beef is still going on with steviewonder  :please: . So i do think this rule is needed because no matter how i personally feel about him i dont think he deserves to be non stop harassed.But me saying that as i have myself witnessed, people can have their bad days and good days and i also understand that people can say something they dont mean or later regret.I think instead of a 1 strike  and then banned i think it would be much appreciated if it was 2 strikes and then out  and that staff members warn  users that they are on their last strike.

Thanks for reading
Post by: Ramiabdh on October 27, 2015, 11:27:52 am
To be honest, I don't think extreme rules are so effective. Restricting the forum also makes it worse. I'd say offensive and hateful people should be dealt with seriously, and derailment too, but at the same time, having the freedom to talk on the forum in always needed, and being respectful and friendly towards other members is a must. This way, the community will be a better place to visit.
Post by: daedra descent on October 27, 2015, 09:21:14 pm

So you outright admit that the warning was harsh(uncalled for) and my supposed past offenses influenced your decision to give me a warning(bias) yet you won't repeal it.

Lol that's really what you got from this? A hugbox? It's your choice if you want to start hugging people, I'm not telling you to.

Not what i meant by 'hugbox'. I meant this:

A hugbox is a derogatory term for an environment, usually on the internet, in which a group with similar interests gathers to discuss topics in what they intend to be a safe, comforting, and confrontation-free environment.

Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hugbox (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hugbox)

There's more than one mod, and there's no such thing as a non biased person. Its unrealistic to expect us to do this perfectly but we're going to try our best.
So you admit that bias could *potentially* influence whether a warning or ban is given?  That mods/admins could pull a random rule out of the planes of nonexistence and issue a warning for something like telling someone how to cheat on a map simply because of bias. A rule that was never mentioned beforehand.
Post by: HitmanVere on October 27, 2015, 09:34:23 pm
So you admit that bias could *potentially* influence whether a warning or ban is given?  That mods/admins could pull a random rule out of the planes of nonexistence and issue a warning for something like telling someone how to cheat on a map simply because of bias. A rule that was never mentioned beforehand.

Just cos its not directly in rules doesnt mean its against rules. Clearly mapper doesnt want people to cheat in his map, so you disrespected his choice by telling people how to modify his script to remove something he has added

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fs4uGQct.png&hash=3f2570da8fab574d0093214f909013f25c782e70)

Zen gave warning for a good reason, but he said that it was wrong for him to be harsh, which means he didnt pull off a new rule, but apologies how he went with giving warning about one
Post by: daedra descent on October 27, 2015, 09:47:08 pm
Just cos its not directly in rules doesnt mean its against rules. Clearly mapper doesnt want people to cheat in his map, so you disrespected his choice by telling people how to modify his script to remove something he has added

By that logic a person asking a mapper to add or change a feature(in a nice way or not) that they put into a map would be considered not respecting their choice.

Post by: treminaor on October 27, 2015, 10:01:42 pm
To be honest, I don't think extreme rules are so effective. Restricting the forum also makes it worse. I'd say offensive and hateful people should be dealt with seriously, and derailment too, but at the same time, having the freedom to talk on the forum in always needed, and being respectful and friendly towards other members is a must. This way, the community will be a better place to visit.
Your post just outlined the rules explained in the first post of this topic... we want people to be respectful and friendly... people who are hateful will be dealt with seriously... doesn't sound very extreme to me so I'm not sure what you are saying is wrong here.

Not what i meant by 'hugbox'. I meant this:

Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hugbox (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hugbox)
Oh excuse me for not consulting urban dictionary for the definition of a term which sounded sarcastically made up. I don't think your definition changes my previous response.

So you admit that bias could *potentially* influence whether a warning or ban is given? 
This can't possibly be news to you.

That mods/admins could pull a random rule out of the planes of nonexistence and issue a warning for something like telling someone how to cheat on a map simply because of bias. A rule that was never mentioned beforehand.
One person's definition of respect may be different than yours. Zen admitted he was too harsh to you, just drop it and move on. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill, as usual.
Post by: Rorke on October 27, 2015, 10:53:42 pm
I respect the rules for what they are. I follow the rules as people would expect me to bottom line is if you don't like this zero tolerance policy then don't visit ugx
Post by: W1NG3D on October 27, 2015, 11:37:35 pm
Rule approved 8)
Post by: DeathBringerZen on October 27, 2015, 11:39:40 pm
So you outright admit that the warning was harsh(uncalled for) and my supposed past offenses influenced your decision to give me a warning(bias) yet you won't repeal it.

Uncalled for? No. You blatently went against the mappers wishes by pointing out how to remove the anti-cheat system put in place by the mapper. It was ignorant and arrogant. I am only admitting I was harsh to issue you the one and only warning you would be given without first pointing out your error, despite you obviously knowing what you were doing when you did it.

As for your past offenses, there is no "supposed" about them. You history on UGX has been colorful. I will not bother listing some of them but you know fine well that you have been trouble on this forum on many occasions, as for the bias you can consider that to have been in your favour rather than against considering you are still a user on this site despite the previously mentioned history you have built up.

Don't play the victim here. Listen to Trem and just accept the apology.
Post by: KDXDARK on October 27, 2015, 11:52:59 pm
Rule approved 8)
Oh W1NG3D commented in a topic, everybody make a wish!  :D
Post by: UndeadGaming on October 28, 2015, 01:04:24 pm
Guys Guys Guys.I do not understand this feedback its not like its the end of the world here i out of all people  :troll: respect this rule in many ways and it stops savages like this happening to a user on this forum for example steviewonder87. As trem said u can express Ur feelings in a mature manor but don't go overboard.overboard. Dont start hating.I am sure that trem has good enough explanation for adding the new rule so what is there to complain about that? All i can see here is trem and the ugx staff are trying to make the forum a less violent and aggressive place.Plus its not gonna affect people in a major way its just telling those who needed to be told to quiet down a bit and respect the staff and members of this board
Post by: Donkey22 on October 30, 2015, 09:22:32 pm
Completely on board with these rules and the zero tolerance policy. Save the Drama for High School guys...
Post by: Harry Bo21 on October 30, 2015, 10:00:47 pm
I love how its the same typical people, making the same completely irrational typical arguments on a topic created solely to try to make things "better", and before even giving it a chance...

Just makes me think of cartman on that episode of south park

Spoiler: click to open...
F*&k, i do what i want!

This is in no way going to "restrict" what people do here, just stop the hate and insults... If to be "unrestricted" we have to allow people to be as cruel and negative as they please, then i dont really see the need to have moderators "at all". This is infact - not a battle field, or a "enter at your own risk" environment and "its the internet" changes nothing ( I deal with this retarded logic on a regular basis at work with "the customers always right" meaning they can just "decide" whats correct or incorrect, regardless of the facts ), and certain people need to start remembering that

If businesses and debates can be run successfully without this nasty-ness, so can a forum. Hell debates on Racism and Feminism turn out more controlled than some events ive seen here ( like people thinking they have the right to "review" everything, and actually believe they are "helping" the mapper? If the mapper wanted your review, he would ask, and a negative review "on his topic", is the furthest thing from helpful. If you wanted to help, you would PM, or at least post it somewhere other than the release topic... a bug mention - sure, a 1/100 review... just no... ) The fact we are on the internet is irrelevent, and that very argument is the reason people are reguarly being arrested now for the vile abuse they post online, for example, a recent incident with a MP in the UK, recieving rape threats. Just sayin "its the internet deal with it" is not going to work, some people even kill themselves when it gets that bad...

No person can be completely unbiased, thats why we are a team. Therefore anything can always be discussed again, and decisions reviewed. But at the time, you guys need to learn that when your told to stop, you need to stop

Ill withstand the rest of what I would like to say, in support of this new, completely fair, and completely deserved rule and desperately hope certain people will at least give it a chance rather than come immediatly dump all over it and point out every possible "what if" scenario. How about actually giving it a chance first? You may be surprised
Post by: DeletedUser on November 01, 2015, 04:42:30 pm
By that logic a person asking a mapper to add or change a feature(in a nice way or not) that they put into a map would be considered not respecting their choice.

But see thats not what happened they asked the OP how too change it, and "YOU" not the original uploader, added the way too cheat. The OP made the map specifically too not allow cheating, but "YOU" openly posted how too remove that, too the release thread. If i were the OP i would hve been pretty annoyed. A PM would have been just as effective and you probably wouldn't have gotten that warning in the first place. And if the guy can't receive or send PM's yet then don't post it at all.

oh and back on topic i like this new rule. though i do tend too go full retard on accasion ill try abide by these rules when i can.
Post by: freefire1990 on November 16, 2015, 11:25:11 am
well, finally i would say
Post by: RadimaX on November 23, 2015, 09:38:10 pm
lukkie litterally warned and then deleted out of map spot i found in a contest map, hope this wont affect the judging process but sharing light on cuple issues in the mapping for a mapping contest is not forbidden i hope or atleast providing information is not ALWAYS constructive criticism however it needs to be done otherwise every map will be broken or ripped off from some place i hope me sharing this personal opinion on the subject is critique enough otherwise this is my last pm rip everyone <3

i will stop typing in forums entirely from now on and the updates for my coming maps will remain IMAGES only so lukkie wont follow me around waiting for smalles misstep now that he took 3 seconds of his day pm me the warning about me linking a "let me google that for you" for darklegion after he linked let me google that for you
Post by: Harry Bo21 on November 23, 2015, 09:46:56 pm
lukkie litterally warned and then deleted out of map spot i found in a contest map, hope this wont affect the judging process but sharing light on cuple issue in the mapping for a mapping contest is not forbidden i hope or atleast providing information is not ALWAYS constructive criticism however it needs to be done otherwise every map will be broken or ripped off from some place i hope me sharing this personal opinion on the subject is critique enough otherwise this is my last pm rip everyone <3

i will stop typing in forums entirely from now on and the updates for my coming maps will remain IMAGES only so lukkie wont follow me around waiting for smalles misstep now that he took 3 seconds of his day pm me the warning about me linking a "let me google that for you" for darklegion after he linked let me google that for you
your comment may have been removed, but we still have a log of it. Dont worry, they do not get forgotten about

lol Im sure no-one is "following" you man, lets all chill and relax ;)
Post by: RadimaX on November 23, 2015, 10:01:38 pm
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FkVG6dQp.jpg&hash=3f8e823f7693a6ce988824db59d0a2454002355d)

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F8Fd2HvY.png&hash=1762881299866dcbed7795ee528a4b9a97c4aeca)

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FoDrXhzc.png&hash=3656cf3d0d9bc7127e8afe4f4580aba0f50f3410)
Post by: Harry Bo21 on November 24, 2015, 12:51:15 am
obviously thats not what i meant by we "have a log"

all i meant was - although you and other users may not be able to see what youve said - "we" still have a log of it so it wont be "forgotten" about

I fully respect that a lot of users saying this fix is needed, infact are not using the full limits of the engine. They very well could remove the need for the fix by sorting their memory and other limits better, but there is nothing wrong with the T4M mod. The very fact these maps would either be lacking in features or fail to be released at all just because of "user inexperience" seems a little silly to me. Those that dont want to "mess with their store bought games install" would in theory - not be in a "modding" community in the first place, but despite this, they have the "choice". Those that dont want to use lanfixes or T4Ms - dont have to, they just wont be able to play "that" map

as for your statement previously, seemed a bit unnecesary to me ( light a circle of candles and use a crayon? ), but hey, I wasnt there, so no comment from me. Just be assured no one is "out to get you"
Post by: RadimaX on November 24, 2015, 01:47:53 am
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FigA6dob.png&hash=9dc7f7469b0de7bc1c641d0ceb4271dd1ef87b37)
Post by: treminaor on November 24, 2015, 06:47:01 am
(http://i.imgur.com/igA6dob.png)
...stop replying with images of text please lol
Post by: Harry Bo21 on November 24, 2015, 06:48:04 am
yea i was having to log on - with my phone - to even see those lol
Post by: steviewonder87 on November 24, 2015, 07:12:58 am
(http://i.imgur.com/igA6dob.png)

You literally drag and drop 1 file. 2 if you have disc version. :poker:
Post by: RadimaX on November 24, 2015, 10:12:42 am

sorry i assumed simply sharing a picture with someone is less bannable then having a different opinion from moderators like lukkie and i want to make sure i do NOT break any rules since i don't wish to do so and have no intention of doing so either.
Post by: Lukkie1998 on November 24, 2015, 10:49:34 am
sorry i assumed simply sharing a picture with someone is less bannable then having a different opinion from moderators like lukkie and i want to make sure i do NOT break any rules since i don't wish to do so and have no intention of doing so either.
Why do you keep mentioning my name? There was no official warning given, and this was definately not the first time you could have been warned for spamming. And why do you send a PM to me that you're sorry, but you start complaining about it in public? Kinda low to do tbh.

If you're not agreeing to it, then please sent a PM to the admins.

Lukkie1998
Post by: RadimaX on November 24, 2015, 11:25:20 am
i dont agree, but we can disagree on the forums they are for discussion and that is what we are doing and i said im sorry already but okey tell me a list of all admins i need to apologise to
Post by: ShotgunRagtime on November 27, 2015, 03:46:35 am
Late again here, but whatevs.

I think the fundamental issue is that there's a line -- as Daedra attempted to point out -- between a friendly community and a circlejerking community. If you need an example of a circlejerking community, look at practically any sub on Reddit.

Now look at a lot of the toxicity in the community. It's towards, you guessed it, box maps and other "proto" maps that clog the release section. We have to ask ourselves:

1. Do we defend the mappers releasing what is, pardon my French, shit? And in doing so, support them in continuing to release crap?

2. Do we verbally abuse them in hopes they'll step it up?

Both are poor options. We cannot have a situation where terrible maps are supported, nor can we have a situation where people are being harassed.

So, I think the real key to reducing site toxicity is to put on some tighter content filters. That means not allowing box maps/"proto" maps onto the site: that also means locking or deleting disaster WiP's that fail to meet proper requirements, before they devolve into shitholes.

Members ought to be upset when people use UGX as a dumping ground for garbage. Some maps are so low-quality and shoddily made/released, I am almost sure that they serve as nothing but Trojans for malware, because I swear I've gotten fucking malware from map downloads before, especially the filth clogging the recesses of ZM.

My point is that we should focus on eliminating high-tensity situations, thus cleaning up the site, but we should still keep watch for personal fighting and what have you.

Post by: daedra descent on November 27, 2015, 04:44:17 am
I think the fundamental issue is that there's a line -- as Daedra attempted to point out -- between a friendly community and a circlejerking community. If you need an example of a circlejerking community, look at practically any sub on Reddit.

Or many of the gaming related news sites/forums. Instead of discussing things like adults, people would much rather censor/ban anyone who has even the slightest opinion than the majority or those in power. These "Social Justice Warrior" types don't want people to question them. Just listen and believe(or, more accurately, listen and follow).
Post by: DeathBringerZen on November 27, 2015, 07:29:22 pm
So, I think the real key to reducing site toxicity is to put on some tighter content filters. That means not allowing box maps/"proto" maps onto the site: that also means locking or deleting disaster WiP's that fail to meet proper requirements, before they devolve into shitholes.

I'm sorry but this is a complete non starter.  I mean, where do we draw the line on what is considered too poor to feature on the site? Also, there is several mappers on this site who started of by posting "shit" maps who are now pretty damn talented, so are we to turn away mappers until they are in line with the standards expected by a select few?

The point of this new policy is to prevent new mappers getting abused by the egotistical members of this site who think they are Gods amongst men and would rather trash than encourage these novice mappers. Besides... even decent maps get the harsh treatment (Daedra's rant on Prison Mission for example) and we are looking to put an end to this kind of bullshit to be honest.

The final straw was having 3 users ask us to delete their WIP threads because some people on here are too toxic to actually try and help people and instead would rather belittle these new users. This site will no longer condone this type of behaviour.
Post by: steviewonder87 on November 27, 2015, 08:22:17 pm
I'm sorry but this is a complete non starter.  I mean, where do we draw the line on what is considered too poor to feature on the site? Also, there is several mappers on this site who started of by posting "shit" maps who are now pretty damn talented, so are we to turn away mappers until they are in line with the standards expected by a select few?

The point of this new policy is to prevent new mappers getting abused by the egotistical members of this site who think they are Gods amongst men and would rather trash than encourage these novice mappers. Besides... even decent maps get the harsh treatment (Daedra's rant on Prison Mission for example) and we are looking to put an end to this kind of bullshit to be honest.

The final straw was having 3 users ask us to delete their WIP threads because some people on here are too toxic to actually try and help people and instead would rather belittle these new users. This site will no longer condone this type of behaviour.

I agree with all this, and I have been guilty of such stuff in the past I'm not gonna lie. Having said that, what happened to the 'New Mapper' section that was mooted a while back? I honestly think that's the best solution for all parties.
Post by: MAK911 on November 27, 2015, 11:57:52 pm
I agree with all this, and I have been guilty of such stuff in the past I'm not gonna lie. Having said that, what happened to the 'New Mapper' section that was mooted a while back? I honestly think that's the best solution for all parties.
IIRC that might have been canceled because some people's first maps were actually pretty good and might have not gotten much attention because they were "New Mappers." It's a good idea honestly so people don't get so damn mean over someone's first map.
Post by: steviewonder87 on November 28, 2015, 01:29:06 am
IIRC that might have been canceled because some people's first maps were actually pretty good and might have not gotten much attention because they were "New Mappers." It's a good idea honestly so people don't get so damn mean over someone's first map.

That was explained. 'New Mappers' is basically a less derogatory euphemism for 'Box maps'. Of course anyone who spends more than 5 mins in Radiant, regardless of whether it's his first or 10th map, would qualify for the normal releases section. A rating system (on the forums, I know this is going to be implemented in the UGX Launcher or w/e) of like 10 stars would be a fantastic idea I think, but I've said all this before anyway.
Post by: daedra descent on November 28, 2015, 02:09:06 am

For the record, I've tried to help several people fix issues and make their map less buggy and 9.9 times out of 10 they just ignore that advice and release a buggy map anyway.

You can't exactly help anyone get better either when they don't ask for help in the first place, which is another trend i'm seeing more of these days. People are just too lazy and would rather list bugs on the topic page that fix them beforehand.

Your definition of "decent" isn't the same as mine. Any map that has zombies spawning in zones that aren't even open isn't a trait of a quality map in my book.

And you want to end people expressing negative opinions you say? Reality doesn't like that.

Spoiler: click to open...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U

South Park FTW!

Post by: DeathBringerZen on November 28, 2015, 02:18:35 am
For the record, I've tried to help several people fix issues and make their map less buggy and 9.9 times out of 10 they just ignore that advice and release a buggy map anyway.

Yes, and I have even commented on such posts where you have been very helpful. I have told you before that you can be and have been a valued member of this site. Sometimes you go on poisonous rants though that are definitely toxic to say the least. I am all for the whole "freedom of speech" but sometimes there has to be a line drawn. You are definitely not the most toxic of users on this forum though but since the new rule has been introduced there has been a lot less negativity around here and I am sure most people will agree it makes a better community for everyone.

Your definition of "decent" isn't the same as mine. Any map that has zombies spawning in zones that aren't even open isn't a trait of a quality map in my book.

This is the whole point of not introducing a limitation of what we allow to be posted. Where do we draw the line? I love Prison Mission and you don't, so where do we class this map? I agree prior to the clipping being fixed it was an attractive but frustrating map but the latest release is way better than "box map", which is something you called me out on for being completely constructive in a post yet days later tore Prison Mission apart in ZK's thread. It was very hypocritical of you and this is why I had issue with what you had to say. I was very constructive in my reply to you in that thread also.

Either way, I DO value you as a member on this forum and have spoken up for you in past situations where it has been discussed by admin on whether or not you should have been banned for previous incidents. Sometimes I can come across as being harsh on you but really I only do it to make this community a better place. I have no malice against anyone on this forum.