Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
Hi5er's Groups
Hi5er's Contact & Social LinksMrWoodster
Hi guys, probably a silly question, but I am new so be nice  :)

I am just adding lights to my first project and I wanted to understand how reflection probes should be used.

A video I watched seemed to suggest that you need one directly under every light source in your map; is this correct? If not can someone please explain how and when/where they should be used?

Many thanks.
This topic contains a post which is marked as the Best Answer. Click here to view it.
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 20 September 2013
Last active: 2 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
No code is bug free
Signature
My published cod maps:

Subzero
Djinncaves
Enclosed (a.k.a baconcube)
Bayern
Snowblind
Furtrelock

Black Ops Perks: https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/scripts/55/call-of-duty-world-at-war-black-ops-perks/22180/
gympie6's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
gympie6's Contact & Social LinksTheRevenantSkullTeffrieTeffrieGympie5#5971

I am just adding lights to my first project and I wanted to understand how reflection probes should be used.

A video I watched seemed to suggest that you need one directly under every light source in your map; is this correct? If not can someone please explain how and when/where they should be used?

Many thanks.

From what I have heard is that you need to use atleast one in every room you enter. If you want to know you need more just compile the map and see if you have red reflections.
Date Registered: 24 September 2016
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
ZombieSlayerr115
Signature
Please. Save me.
isaacscott935's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
isaacscott935's Contact & Social LinksZombieSlayerr115isaac935

Many thanks.

I’m pretty sure you only have to use one (might be wrong though) but I add a reflection probe underneath every light just out of habit.
Marked as best answer by Hi5er 6 years ago
Date Registered: 9 August 2013
Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
codmoddd1234's Groups
codmoddd1234's Contact & Social Links
Make a room(room 1)
Put the xmodel " dest_berlin_barmirror " on each wall and the floor/ceiling.
Put the xmodel "sundirection_arrow" in the middle of the room.
Put a reflection_probe in the middle of the room below the "sun_direction_arrow".
Compile and look at the reflections.
If you had another room (room 2) with mirrors but without a reflection_probe you would still see the sundirection_arrow(from room 1) in the mirrors until you add a probe.
It applies to all reflective (specular) surfaces in the area.
Each probe automatically adds 1 image your map. They are 6 small images combined into 1 strip.
Dont add too many probes and lights until your map is near completion because it makes compiling slower.
Date Registered: 29 June 2018
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
Hi5er's Groups
Thanks for the explanation and help guys.

Funnily enough upon compiling my map this morning I got these 3 errors (which I haven't seen before).

WARNING: NEGOTIATION node at (-192.000000 474.000000 40.000000) overlaps other nodes
WARNING: NEGOTIATION node at (-218.000000 184.000000 40.000000) overlaps other nodes
WARNING: NEGOTIATION node at (218.000000 184.000000 40.000000) overlaps other nodes

Would that be anything to do with reflection probes overlapping, or is this something unrelated? I have a few path nodes which would be my second guess.
[UGX] Developer
Date Registered: 28 October 2013
Last active: 5 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
UGX Team Member
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
[UGX] Developer
Lukkie1998's Groups
UGX Team Member
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
2015 Participant
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Thanks for the explanation and help guys.

Funnily enough upon compiling my map this morning I got these 3 errors (which I haven't seen before).

WARNING: NEGOTIATION node at (-192.000000 474.000000 40.000000) overlaps other nodes
WARNING: NEGOTIATION node at (-218.000000 184.000000 40.000000) overlaps other nodes
WARNING: NEGOTIATION node at (218.000000 184.000000 40.000000) overlaps other nodes

Would that be anything to do with reflection probes overlapping, or is this something unrelated? I have a few path nodes which would be my second guess.
 This would probably have something to do with your traverses and path nodes overlapping indeed. Take a look at the position mentioned in the error (you can go to a specific position in radiant by one of the menu buttons in the top) and check which two nodes overlap. If it overlaps, move the path node a little bit.

(It could be that the traverse nodes are filtered away, causing you to not see the overlap. Check your filter settings in Radiant.

Lukkie1998
Date Registered: 29 June 2018
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
More
Hi5er's Groups
This would probably have something to do with your traverses and path nodes overlapping indeed. Take a look at the position mentioned in the error (you can go to a specific position in radiant by one of the menu buttons in the top) and check which two nodes overlap. If it overlaps, move the path node a little bit.

(It could be that the traverse nodes are filtered away, causing you to not see the overlap. Check your filter settings in Radiant.

Lukkie1998

That was indeed the error, thanks for helping Lukkie.

For anyone reading this in the future, I had to go to the following in Radiant: Misc -> go to specific point -> paste in co-ordinates, then simply move the pathnodes a little as Lukkie suggested.

Loading ...